Friday, 8 July 2011

Me and the lottery

In my last job, I had a friend who most weeks would say something like, "I hope I win the Euromillions tonight - then I'll not be back here Monday." I'm sure it won't have escaped your notice, but tonights draw has a jackpot of about £166 million. That is incredible! If it is won by a single winner, they would be alongside The Beckhams and Theo Paphitas in how much they have and be the 418th name on the Sunday Times rich list. The National Lottery is expecting to sell 3 million tickets an hour in the lead up to tonights draw, which is over 900 per second. That's a lot of people in the draw. (By the way, I got these stats from here, I didn't spend ages working them out, though it is something I would do!)

Anyway, I've been thinking this morning about buying a ticket. It's only £2 after all, which let's face it, isn't that much. I spent £2 on Wednesday on a cup of sweets, £2 on 4 crunchies and 4 flakes (£1 each), £9 on the Noah and the Whale album (Could of had 4.5 tickets!), I'll pay £2.50 to play football tonight, £4 on Monday, so £2 for one ticket isn't that much of a drastic amount given I'm used to spending it, and quite regularly. But does that give me permission to buy one? As someone who is wanting to please God, and serve him, is it right to play the euro millions?

I've read a few peoples blogs and opinions on the question, 'Should the Christian play the lottery?' Most people say no - it's gambling, and is bad stewardship (since everything comes from God <including money>, we are to use it wisely). There is no verse in the Bible directed at gambling, so you have to try and find the Bible principles which can be applied. I completely agree that everything comes from God, and that we are to use it wisely. I guess the question then becomes, "Well what does this mean?" Is it OK to spend £2 on a lottery ticket since I spent £2 on sweets. Was it wrong to buy the sweets in the first place? Sure, I enjoyed them when I watched my brother and his girlfirend in West Side Story on Wednesday, and I gave them the ones that were left, but did I need them? Probably not, but I enjoyed them.

People argue for playing the lottery saying it is for entertainment purposes. I can see this as well. It is quite fun watching to see if your numbers come up, and I'm used to spending money for entertainment purposes. My big question when I look at myself is, "am I playing because I want to win £166million? Is it the great prize that is tempting me to play? Would I want to play if it was just a 'normal' jackpot amount? The other question I have is, "Hypothetically, if I won, what would I do with the money?" As a Mathematician, I'm very aware that the odds of my 6 numbers coming up are very small indeed. Throw in the frenzy surrounding this draw, and the number of other people playing, the chances of a unique winner - again very very small. But if I played and somehow beat the odds (someone has to) then what would I do? I'd be in a very fortunate position financially, and the temptation would be to keep it, to save it.

I know that keeping it all wouldn't ever be an option, but how much do you keep, and where do you give money to? I think we'd probably pay off any debt we have, but would a new house be bought, what about a new car (current one only had for 7 months, but its done a lot of miles)? Would money be put aside for future generations, and how much would we keep for ourseleves and a rainy day? Surely I would continue looking for work, but would I be as willing to take a very basic, low paid job, or would I wait and wait? Would I ever need to work again? I've got a friend cycling from Bournemouth to Bicaz (Romania) to buy a minibus for the Romanian camps they do. I could give to him. (You could to by following the above link!) I'd give some to my local Church, and needs in and around Doncaster. But how much of the £166m would that use? Perhaps I could widen my giving to my family, clear their debts, and set aside for their futures?

It's questions like these that really make me wonder whether or not I should play the lottery tonight. Yes, it's only £2, and it wouldn't be that dearly missed, but if I won, I just wouldn't know what to do with the money. I have friends around me who would help me, but do I want that pressure? The Bible warns against money, and greed, and I think to guard myself, playing the lottery isn't a good idea.

That's how far I've got in the last hour or so, in between a gas safety check, but would be interesting to know other peoples thoughts. Comment below!

3 comments:

  1. Interesting topic! It is a grey area to some extent and I think you're right, it's about your motivation. Maybe the £2 should be given straight to a charity working in East Africa (current world need) or maybe £2 should go to the lady who has lost everything leaving her abusive husband? However, you could argue that playing the lottery allows the potential for hugely increasing the amount of money and therefore providing greater benefit for those in need. But the likelihood of winning is much smaller and I guess the question is, is it worth the gamble? Or would it be better to give the money to a cause that you know is worthwhile and there's no risk of it making a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've given £2 to my friend cycling to Romania. Having encouraged others to do so, it only seemed I should donate again

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good choice, now you know your money will make a difference and not be sat in some big money pot somewhere!!

    ReplyDelete