It's not about the money, money, money
We don't need your money, money, money
We just wanna make the world dance,
Forget about the Price Tag.
Ain't about the (ha) Ka-Ching Ka-Ching.
Aint about the (yeah) Ba-Bling Ba-Bling
Wanna make the world dance,
Forget about the Price Tag.
We don't need your money, money, money
We just wanna make the world dance,
Forget about the Price Tag.
Ain't about the (ha) Ka-Ching Ka-Ching.
Aint about the (yeah) Ba-Bling Ba-Bling
Wanna make the world dance,
Forget about the Price Tag.
I wondered what on earth the song was actually about, if it was not about the money. Having listened to it a couple of times this evening, and looking at the lyrics, it seems to be a bit tongue-in-cheek, with elements of truth, and thought provoking stuff.
Jessie wrote the song herself, and it seems to be her thoughts on current things, particularly in the music industry, where people could be described as trying to go one up on their competitors, wearing more and more provakative clothing in videos, and doing everything they can to get more and more media spotlight. Here's the second verse:
We need to take it back in time,
When music made us all UNITE!
And it wasn't low blows and video Hoes,
Am I the only one gettin... tired?
Why is everybody so obsessed?
Money can't buy us happiness.
If we all slow down and enjoy right now
Gurantee we'll be feelin
All right.
When music made us all UNITE!
And it wasn't low blows and video Hoes,
Am I the only one gettin... tired?
Why is everybody so obsessed?
Money can't buy us happiness.
If we all slow down and enjoy right now
Gurantee we'll be feelin
All right.
Jessie is basically saying that people in music are not in it for the same reasons as they used to. She wants to go back to the days when people made music to entertain people. I guess now, people are entertained in different ways, and perhaps some people don't feel that the songs themselves are enough. People seem to be in this business for the money, and not because it is something they love.
It is true when Jessie sings that money can't buy us happiness. Happiness is an interesting thing, and people feel happy because of different things. I was in a rotten mood at work earlier this week, and when someone asked me how I was, it cheered me up, as it was really thoughtful of them to notice and ask. If Sheffield Wednesday start winning, I'll be happy when I look at the results (could be a while). When I think of mine and Rachels first 6 months of marriage, it makes me happy. Would having lots of money make me happier? I doubt it. Sure, I could buy more stuff - a better house, newer car, wii games, but the danger is, that the more we have, the more we want, and the more we feel we need to keep up with th proverbial Jones's. I doubt that this would make me happy though.
The Bible warns us about money on more than one occasion. 1Timothy 6:10 says this, "For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. [As an aside, note how the love of money is A root of all kinds of evil, not THE root]. When we make money our aim in life, we lose focus of everything around us. We won't unite with anyone, but will berate people, and climb all over them to get to the top. The Bible would tell us to focus on God, to keep our eyes fixed on Jesus (Hebrews 12:1-3). When we focus on pleasing God, and serving him, we look around us, and pick people up, encourage them, and as Church family, we strive to help others serve him as well. True happiness is found in Jesus - I know it sounds cheesy, but its true. Giving your life for something you know to be eternal gives your life meaning, and purpose, and a reason to be happy.
No comments:
Post a Comment