Monday, 11 October 2010

Listening to God

As I mentioned yesterday, I was challenged by the Bible talk at Church yesterday. We were looking at Hebrews 3:7-19. Helpfully, Al has put his notes online here, so others can see them. The audio of the talk will be on the Church website today or tomorrow I would imagine if you want to have a listen, but here's what I was particualrly challenged on:
GOD SPEAKS TO ME/US. If you had asked me before I heard the talk if I agreed with that, I would have said absolutely! It's so obvious, why does it even need saying? However, being reminded that God speaks to me TODAY (present tense of verse 7) was encouraging and refreshing. Some people would argue that the Bible is outdated and irrelevant, but I don't see that, as the Bible, written by people and inspired by God still speaks to us, not neccessarily in an audible voice, but through the words. (I'm not speaking to you now audibly but I am speaking my thoughts to you as you read this). As I read the Bible, God is wanting to speak to me. The Bible is relevant today, and as we looked at the danger of 'hardening our hearts', although written to a first century audience, the danger is still applicable.
When we dug deaper into the quotes and uses of Psalm 15, we saw how thatwas written about Numbers 13 and 14. The Israelite's are at the door of the promised land, but don't believe God could get them in - the city is guarded, the walls are big and thick, the people look strong, and numerous, and they just don't believe (with the exception of Caleb and Joshua). We then thought about what these people had seen and witnessed before their very eyes. While they were slaves in Egypt, they had seen God send 10 signs and wonders to show people who he was, bringing illness and turmoil among the Egyptians. The last of these signs was to kill all the first born males, and yet protected the Israelites with the blood of the passover lamb. As they were fleeing, they came to the Red Sea, trapped, with Pharaoh and his army hot on their tails. God moved a cloud to protect them, and then continued to part the Red Sea, allowing an entire nation of people to pass through on dry land, and then wiping out the greatest army of the time in the waters. It's not like the Israelites hadn't seen God do amazing things, and yet, unbelief was still their reaction.
I realised how similar I am to the Israelites. I have seen God do wonders in my own life, as prayers have been answered. I know first hand that God protects and provides, that He is sovereign over all things - He is in control, and yet, when I come upon something that seems hard, unbelief is my reaction. There is no way out of this - this is a helpless situation - there's nothing that can be done. Actually Alex, there is something that can be done, but not by you! The sovereign creator God who is personal(A Praying Life) can do all things, and can work miracles in your heart, and the heart of others. In Matthew 19:26 Jesus says this, "With human beings, this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
So I was reminded at how great God is, and that he wants to speak to me, but then there was one more thing that was exposed and that was the question of how we listen. Listening takes time and concentration. It is not something squeezed into a morning, or into a 5 minute window, but something that is time is made for, and days built around. If God speaks to me through the Bible, then I must be wanting to listen as I read it. If the words of the Bible are relevant and applicable today, then I'm not going to fully get the lessons unless I spend time with it. So often at the minute, Bible reading is a chore and hard work, but this must change, and that change only happens with a change of attitude. When I come to the Bible,I mustn't sigh and think about other things, I mustn't grudgingly put it into my day as a 'There God, you happy now?', but I should love to read it as I know that the God who loves me wants to speak to me, and spend time with me. I must now stop writing about reading my Bible, and actually do it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment